Sunday, September 28, 2008

Long Road Out of Eden

A long pending post..... stuck in some corner of my D drive for more than a month...driven out of immediate memory by other incidents...... but finally managed to sit and pen some words down.

I’d gone out for lunch to “China Grill” on the 15th of August. It’d been a particularly hectic morning with lot of pending work and I was looking forward to a couple of their delicious Bloody Marys along with their exquisite Szechwan Prawns. However, even as I entered, the notice on the doorway , struck me with a ferocious oxymoronic punch.
“On the occasion of Independence Day….Dry Day will be observed….no liquor will be served.”
It was sad…and intensely funny at the same time. “Independence Day” is observed with such outrightly illogical restraints on an individual.
We have the gall to call ourselves independent , when everything we think, speak or do , contradicts the very roots of freedom. We are happy to accept our existence the way it is…..
….In an overwhelming fear of a tyrannical GOD , seemingly waiting to strike us down, were we to waver but for a moment from the so-called path of righteousness.
……constantly being dragged down into the earth by downright absurd , atavistic and unscientific socio-cultural fetters.
….. a society where every thought of the common man reeks of indoctrination…every action , one of blind subservience.

The media, in its demonic incarnation , is writ large over our lives. We are subtly commanded on how to move….eat…drink…dress….and think. The desire to think for yourself is a banal sin…..the attempt to break free from societal norms, an almost criminal endeavour.
We are slaves….to the society : slaves to status quo.
Under grossly twisted concepts of morality, this status quo comforts us….
….. “at least , my life is not worse off for it”
….. “I have a tough life as it is….the boss screws my happiness at work…..family life is a Tull personified – love’s in the gutter…sperms in the sink”
….hence….at least don’t ask me to think for myself.
….. “after all , God made me in his own image…and hence of course I cant be expected to think.”

Sincerity…..in any form whatsoever, is conspicuous by its absence. Totally unworthy pretenders are raised onto sky high pedestals…and the likes of me and you kneel before them in ecstatic, yet undeniably moronic adulation.

We are slaves to history…. Content forever to revel in the stale memories of some distant event .
We are the worst possible excuse for intelligent life….. willingly allowing our brains to be held hostage by that bastard meme of civilization called Tradition.
Indeed…..

People are crazy and times are strange….
I’m locked in tight….I’m outta range….
I used to care….but…..
Things have changed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Too bitter and caustic even by your standards ... But really like the "slaves to status quo" bit ...
was actually planning a mail on the groups asking people if anybody is still doing something they are passionate about ... may just write in ....

aneesh said...

Ah well...actually its just a random outpouring of thoughts...and if you consider how I really feel...its actually quite mild a post.As for the groups....I doubt anyone would reply.... other priorities rule people...not that one can blame them....but even the hitherto regular ones to write in have seemingly receded into the stagnant oblivion of middle age and family life...what say you ?